Engaging Youth in Prevention Advocacy
Straight Up is a Ventura County, California youth development project for ages 12-25 that promotes social change regarding underage and binge drinking, impaired driving, marijuana, prescription drug misuse and other concerns using improvisation and interactive techniques to engage discussion, explore issues, and develop personal and community solutions to these issues.
Straight Up also provides resources to parents through our Let's Talk program.
Straight Up is made possible through funding from Ventura County Behavioral Health Department, Alcohol and Drug Programs.
About our Programs
Our activities include:
- Straight Up Video Contest 2014 now online!
- A range of options for interactive classroom workshops
- Youth leadership development and spokesperson training
- Reality Parties for Parents – After seeing teen actors portray scenes from a simulated teen party and voice their concerns about trends in youth alcohol and drug use, parents explore what adults can do to make a difference and keep their kids safe
- Be the DD and Win - Designated Driver promotion campaign in Ventura County
- Community assessments – Identifying problems & potential solutions
- Guidance and support for planning & implementing your own prevention projects
- Training in Reality Improv and social change theatre techniques
- Video production – Webcasts & public service announcements
- Community discussion through the Straight Up blog
- Straight Up audio podcast
- Let's Talk - Promoting open and healthy dialogue between parents and teens about tough issues such as underage drinking, sexuality, HIV/AIDS and the prevention of STDs
Now accepting donations online!
Help us make a difference in so many young peoples' lives!
New blog posts
Video Contest 2014
Now open to registration! Click here for more info
Be the DD and Win is coming!
The Prize Posse will be awarding and acknowledging Designated Drivers! more